Monday, July 26, 2010

Just call me Michelle.

In retrospect, the comparisons started with a chuckle from Karen Sawyer--my Arcadia professor (who organizes student international pro-bono trips), mentor, and friend who is affectionately known as K1 in Ridge from her own time spent here. Karen, from the start, saw the similarities between Michelle Bogan and I, and her chuckles on the way God works have only seemed to grow over the last year.

We're both tall, at least a head taller than those "Likkle Bruttes" down here (aka Brooke). We both have shorter, brown, wavy-curly hair that does crazy things in the humidity. We're both the organized and list type. We both fall asleep during perfectly good movies. We both prefer not to use the mosquito net. We would both choose a sweet drink over a beer. We're both from areas in the US that are completely unlike the Jamaican way of life. We even both have the same swim bag, woo. We are both PTs and tend to think the same way when it comes to treating--as we found out last November. . . And these things are all just on the surface level. 

On another level, since moving down the comparisons and mistaken identities between Meesh and myself have continued! This week alone Dr. Carol mentioned to Brooke that, "Sometimes I hear her talk in the clinic and I'm sure it's Michelle out there." It wasn't a day or two later that while driving to the clinic, Aunti Mopsi (Anna's aunt) flagged me down, knocked me on the arm and exclaimed something in patwah along the lines of surprise at me being here. I'm not sure I'd officially met Mopsi before that! My look of confusion must have been a sight. Brooke caught on right away introducing me for me. Mopsi then went on in so-so patwah ("true" patois) to explain that she thought I was Michelle! And on and on it goes. . .

You see, almost six years ago, Michelle and Brooke arrived in Ridge together to work as pro-bono PTs. At the time, Michelle had five years of clinical experience in the PT world while Brooke was the new grad--which is much the story of Brooke and I with the roles reversed! Michelle was strong in orthopedics while Brooke in neuro rehab. In many other ways these two Jamaican sisters complimented each other when it came to serving and establishing projects in the community. Michelle stayed here full-time for three years and has continued to return to visit every year since.

When I met Michelle last November during a Stroke Camp, it felt as though we'd known each other for years instead of just a few days by the end. I remember boarding the plane before the trip with so many questions and doubts and fears about these steps I was taking towards Jamaica. God used the combo of Meesh and Brooke in so many ways over that week to reassure my heart that this is where He was taking me and that He would see me through.(Yet another example of the amazing people He has brought into my life through this!)

Since that time Michelle has been a friend, mentor, and someone I've been able to pass question after question to, no matter if they're about loans (which we also had a very similar situation with), friends and family members' reactions, adjusting to the culture, learning to quint (i.e. wink), documentation, or advice on finding that filling up alone time with just you and God.

I agree on many accounts that we are much alike--and that that is yet another way God has guided and blessed this entire thing! However, I do have to agree with Brooke in that there are many other ways in which we differ.

A few examples? Meesh has a reputation as a prankster, right down to sewing together the top of every piece of underwear you own. I have yet to earn that title by a long shot! She's also the more level-headed, cautious driver while I tend to need the little reminders that I don't quite know these roads or what the truck barreling down on us is going to do well enough to be driving so fast. I believe she may be immune to these mosquitos here, while I am daily becoming the adept mosquito huntress, that or be mauled by them. Her actions and words challenge me to know God on a deeper level and to love with a giving heart to all of those around me.

Everyday I find my heart being moved and challenged in different ways as I continue to settle in and get to know all that surrounds me. I'm certainly alright with being mistaken for Michelle. It's an honor in a way! And if anything it's a reminder of how God has brought me to this place and continues to provide in ways far beyond my understanding! I know too that He is daily shaping me into who He designed me to be, a unique one-of-a-kind individual. If I learn to respond to "Michelle" along the way so be it . . . she's mi olda sista after all. :-)

1 comment: