Friday, July 2, 2010

"Welcome Home!"

Those were the first words I heard from mi dear sista, Shirani, as she enveloped me in a hug yesterday. I'd spent the last few hours in a very full "bus" with the missionary family (from the deaf school) and a few of their newly arrived bible school guests driving in from MoBay (airport). I'd already had my first welcoming patti, ting, and been reminded of the Jamaican rhythm of driving . . . but arriving in Ridge was more than a welcoming sight. It was home!

Yesterday was a full day, even after the drive. Shir and I put my bags in the house and then made it to the clinic to catch up with Brooke, Anna, Toots, and the two students who are here (Katie and Sarah). I met a few of our patients as well as said a quick "Hi" to Dr. Carol. We stopped over in Junction on the way back for coal and a few groceries then back to the house. I made a big wonderful mess of my things--I don't know how I can still have so much stuff!!--and then met some more of the community as we hiked up the hill through the bush for a few cold drinks. Dinner. Oh, dinner. Anna is one amazing chef and how I've missed Jamaican food! We had bread fruit french fries, BBQ'd jerk chicken, and salad to boot. So good. After that I merely cleaned off my bed and fell into it. What a day. What a blessed day.

This morn has been full of much the same sweetness starting with some back step coffee and devotions, as well as visits by at least four of the other community members. We're off soon for some home visits and then a trip down to Jack Sprat for some well-earned Friday afternoon R&R--although the rain looks to be a rollin' in.

So, yes, I'm alive! I've even got the bug bites to prove it! I have yet to put my toothbrush under the facet. Aaaaand I just ate my first Jamaican mango in a year. :o) There is still a lot to do to "settle in," but it'll come bit by bit. Until later, my friends! I'll leave you with one of my favorite Jamaican choruses . . .

God is good
God is good
God is good to me how could I let Him down
How could I let Him down
He's so good to me
He picks me up
Turns me around
He plants my feet on higher ground
How could I let Him down
How could I let Him down
He's so good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment