Sunday, February 6, 2011

Power Behind the Request.

The day before I left Philadelphia, a friend and I ended up having a discussion about the power behind a request. It came up as something as simple as washing the dishes. We all had our parents tell us to cleanup after a meal, clear the table, wash the dishes, etc. If you were at all like me growing up, you may have all to often put up a fight and then ended up grudgingly doing those dishes, grim-faced, without joy. It was a chore, not an act of serving or helping. Then there are other cases where, like that night, my friend saw a need and offered to do the dishes, smile on his face and without a second thought. I can think of many times growing up and still to this day, where I willingly do the dishes, as well, without a second thought, no grudges or tempers to be held, no matter how many or how long it takes me to do. Why does the same task cause such different responses? Washing the dishes or fetching a glass of water are simple things, yet can often flip a switch with our attitudes. Doing something grudgingly or unwillingly often puts me in a poor mood for some time. On the other hand, enjoying my task at hand, seeing it as serving, loving on another will often uplift my spirits. As discussed that December evening, it often comes down to the power driving the request.

In the past six weeks at home with my family this discussion has continue to be in my thoughts. Those first weeks back I was extremely dependent on the four of the people in my family to get through each day. I can't even begin to count the times I asked someone to get me a glass of water, carry my laptop to my room, wash my clothes, carry my purse, etc etc. Yet my family did it without complaint no matter how busy or caught up they were with their own tasks; no matter how frustrated I sounded, how much attitude I gave, or how relentlessly annoying I was in my frustration of my inability to help. They did what was requested out of love for me, pure and simple

Love is as patient as it needs to be. Love is kind. Love does not envy. It does not boast. Love is humble and serving. Love respects; it is not rude. Love is not self-seeking but puts others first. Love fulfills needs. Love is not easily angered. Love does not begrudge, but keeps no records of wrongs. Love rejoices in the truth. Love always has your back, building you up, always protects. Love always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres inspite of, not because of. Love never fails. Love drives out fear, for there is no fear in love.

I'm sure you've heard these words before. These words describing love (found in 1 Corinthians 13 and 1 John 4) are powerful. Yet when was the last time you broke them down one-by-one into your own life? We should mediate on them daily!! As I've slowly regained my independence and relinquished my crutches, I find my heart humbled at these subtle reminders of the power of love. Everything else falls short no matter how small or large the task. Love is the ultimate power behind a request.

No comments:

Post a Comment